Tuesday afternoon update

It is now 1 PM on Tuesday afternoon with no sirens for a day and a half here in Tel Aviv, though not so in the south near the Gaza border. Last night around 6 PM, Hamas threatened to attack Tel Aviv again. Our little group of friends were together at someone's house for dinner when we got the news. Shortly thereafter we all went home, essentially to wait. No rockets came overnight and none so far today.

We are teaching virtually again today and just got word we will be virtual Wednesday and Thursday as well. Although teaching under stress is challenging, but I find comfort in the familiarity of being with the students and having something external and neutral to focus, if only for an hour. 

Sleep has made a world of difference to my mental health. After the attack two night ago some switch inside of me flipped and I realized/accepted/assumed that I will wake up if the sirens wail and that there is absolutely nothing I can do but follow the rules and pray. Since then I've been more or less able to sleep.



The streets are really quiet, as many residents have gone to the north and the rest of us are staying close to home. I went on a walk this morning and there are quite a few places open for business. People are at restaurants and coffee shops, the flower shop and bakery by my house are both open. 

Today I don't feel so jumpy. Not every noise sounds like the siren starting up, but sometimes my body hears a sound and I can feel it go on high alert. I am still not willing to go very far from buildings and quick shelter. 

Thankfully not much else to report so far today. Let's pray it stays that way and hope for a cease fire soon.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still No Word

What have I done? #Homesick #Lonely