Running in the desert


As I'm settling into life in Abu Dhabi, my crusade to exercise has continued (yay!). I tried a new location today after work. The last few outdoor runs I've gone to the Corniche in and while it's more scenic, it is constructed with bricks and rather hurts my knees. There are also lots of people and getting stared at by various types of men gets old.

This place is a place way, way, way outside of Abu Dhabi and is called Al Wathba Cycle Track, outside a town called, shockingly, Al Wathba. It's so far out there I worried about getting back without Google if my phone died while I was there!



There are kilometers and kilometers of paved track. It's perfect for cycling and for long runs, though it isn't much for scenery. The illusion that I do not live in the desert was pretty much smashed!

Nothing but sand and asphalt and solar-powered lights as far as the eye can see. 

It was eerie driving out there as all the vestiges of civilization, notwithstanding the paved roads, began to disappear. One about 5 vehicles sat in front of a rather sad collection of buildings, but I went into the bike shop for the overview. The man working was very nice and the fact that two customers were being tended to put me at ease. The bike shop is open until 10 p.m., so at least one other person would be there! He assured me that there are lots of lights, lots of cameras and lots of safety. 

The turn-off for 8 km. You can see there are lots of choices up to 30 km.


I feel very safe in Abu Dhabi, but the desolation of this place kind of gave me the creeps. I've heard people say I live in the most monitored part of the world--there are tv cameras everywhere, but never before has it given me comfort. I got passed by two friendly Emirati gentleman around mile 4, though, and that put me totally at ease.
The lights allow the track to be open 24 hours.  

The buildings in the distance in the above picture are the services: A shop where you can rent a bike for 30 AED /hour (about 10 bucks) and an Adnoc Oasis, the national version of a Circle K or 7-Eleven (Ironically, the store at the cycle track is full of junk food and soda); a women's toilet and shower building and a men's toilet and shower building (I really don't ever have to specify men and women facilities are separated here. They are NEVER together).

It's really beautiful as the sun goes down. 

Going out was great, as there was a tailwind. My only complaint about the entire track was the headwind on the way back. It felt initially like when you get a gust of wind in your face after the second cattle guard when you know how much is ahead of you. But then I realized I am at elevation approximately...90 feet. I can't quite compare.



My run ended just around the time sun went down.

Totally worth the drive.

Comments

  1. Joy, you amaze me. Your perseverance and dedication to teaching is such a good model for all AND you don't just talk it, you "run it" as well. Love your spirit and spunk! JANET

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Biopsy

Still No Word