My church is in Abu Dhabi, too!

I finally went to church tonight. The Anglican church here appears to be quite hopping. Tonight's service had over 50 people, a lot to me for a Sunday night mass. Other service times are Friday morning, Friday afternoon and Sunday morning. Friday is the Muslim holy day, so our work week is Sunday-Thursday. I think that is why the Friday times.

I can't begin to tell you how good it felt to be there! There was such a sense of home walking into the sanctuary with an altar and a cross hanging behind it and the chairs all lined up in the familiar arrangement and the music and it was lovely. Hearing the words of Jesus and the familiar prayers of God's love and the freedom we have in it were nourishment to my soul.

Just like at home, I arrived during the Gospel.

Today's service was themed Covenant. The preacher talked about our covenants with God and with each other. Whatever else she said, I heard some lines about being faithful and staying.

Staying hit me hard. Here's why.

These first 2 weeks of work have been hard. Really hard. I guess I expected it to be easier or to love it so much I didn't mind or everyone goes through this. But I have 6 different classes to teach, 4 break/lunch duties a week and most every spare minute at work is full of professional development and meetings. I have been feeling overwhelmed, homesick and crying a lot.

BUT, people who have been here longer than I have tell me this is all normal (as many of you did, too) and my colleagues tell me it gets better and easier and I'll figure it out. Each day I am more hopeful and learn some new skill or efficiency that makes my job a little easier.

At 5:30 I finally left work today and started walking toward the mall where my gym is. I don't know why I walked instead of took a taxi, but walking just felt good and indecision ruled my mind. About 10 minutes later I remembered the Sunday night service at church, which is in the same neighborhood of my job. Thank goodness for Google Maps, it gets me everywhere!

One of the beautiful things about the Anglican Communion is the difference between all of the different branches. A common service, structure and liturgy is decorated differently with varying phrases and prayers. And tonight it just so happened that those beautiful prayers were exactly what I needed to hear.

After the sermon, the priest read this:
This means that, by the help of the Holy Spirit, we accept God's purpose for us, and the call to love and serve God in all our life and work.
Christ has many services to be done: Some are easy, others are difficult;
Some bring honour, others bring reproach; Some are suitable to our natural inclinations and material interests, others are contrary to both; in some we may please Christ and please ourselves; in others we cannot please Christ except by denying ourselves;
Yet the power to do all these things is given to us in Christ who strengthens us. Therefore let us make this covenant of God our own. Let us give ourselves to him, trusting in his promises and relying on his grace.
Eternal God, in your faithful and enduring love you call us to share in your gracious covenant in Jesus Christ.
In obedience we hear and accept your commands; in love we seek to do your perfect will; With joy we offer ourselves anew to you.
We are no longer our own but yours.
During the service the evening call to prayer could be heard through the walls. The call to prayer is broadcast over loudspeakers throughout the city. I can't hear it on the island where I live so I consider it a treat whenever I do. It lasts about 2 minutes or so and is a man's voice singing. It is truly beautiful and rather chilling. Afterwards if I'm out, I see dozens of people walking towards whatever mosque is nearby. Hearing the call during my own worship service reminded me that God loves and is in each of us, whether we accept it or ask for it or not.

I was moved to tears by the closing hymn, which usually I only hear at Catholic mass: Here I am, Lord. It always reminds me of going to church with my father at his Catholic church. Every time I go with him I hear Be Not Afraid or Here I am, Lord.

And so I left church filled up with the spirit of God; hopeful that He has a purpose in my presence here, and reminded that following God is not always going to feel good. As a priest friend told me a few years ago when I was whining about God not giving me the life I wanted, Perhaps, Joy, you should be asking what you can do to please God instead of what God can do to please you. I feel connected to myself and to my God once again.

Comments

  1. God loves your heart and this home coming. "A common service, structure and liturgy is decorated differently with varying phrases and prayers" but it really feels like you are home with God. So...remember to stay close to Him and in Him!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Still No Word

What have I done? #Homesick #Lonely