Where did you run today? #Berlin

I love running. My former husband taught me how to run when we were first married. I was not athletic to begin with and got my P.E. credit in high school from band [I know, I know. We did arm circles]. We started by hiking a 2.5 mile loop at a park in San Antonio over and over again, each time running for a little bit longer. Next thing you know I am signed up for a 5 mile race (which I thought was a 5K, but that's a different story) and I ran the entire time! Now I've done some marathons, a bunch of half-marathons and get to run with an awesome bunch of people on Ragnar trail relays around the West.

There are so many reasons I like it. Nothing makes your legs look good like running. Some of my closest friends I met through running. I love how I feel when I am finished with a run (this may account for up to 87% of my running). I cannot overemphasize how great it feels when I reach my goal distance and I get to walk. If I go in the morning, I get to bask in the knowledge that I have already exercised for the rest of the day. I can work out my problems with a run, or at least gain perspective. It helps me calm down or get out of a mental tailspin or step back off the ledge if I am whacked out about something. 

When I began travelling internationally by myself, however, running became even more important. It grounded me, and in a strange way made me feel like less of an outsider in these foreign countries. I find it very comforting to encounter other runners. No matter what country I'm in, there are runners out and about early in the morning. The first run I ever did alone overseas was in London in Hyde Park. I was terrified. I carried my passport with me strapped to my stomach and I was on emotional guard the entire run. 

But I love running in NEW places for these but 3 other specific reasons:
1. The map 
2. The overview
3. The sights 

1. The map. I run with a Garmin 620 which measures distance and pace and some other stuff. One of my favorite features is uploading my runs to Garmin Connect to see the maps of where I've run. This means that over the years I have accumulated an impressive [to me, anyways] collection of maps from various places. Here's a sample, starting with today's run.

Wittenberg, Germany from a few days ago
On the "Old Course" in St. Andrew's, Scotland

Near Lake Tahoe

2. The overview. Nothing orients me in a city like running through it. I get to know where things are in relation to my lodgings. I figure out which way is North, where the grocery store it, how far it is to the river, etc. This all comes in very handy when I go sightseeing later.

3. The sights. This is big. Because I usually go in the morning between 6 and 7:30, popular tourist attractions are generally empty. Fantastic pictures! No random people's backsides in them. The sun is often in just the right spot. This morning, for example....




Sometimes there are unexpected surprises. For example, on my morning run in Wittenberg I took a fantastic picture of the doors of the Castle Church, which is where Martin Luther is said to have posted his 95 theses. When we went back during the day, the doors were open so we couldn't get a picture.


Here's to a lovely day!  Where will you run?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still No Word

What have I done? #Homesick #Lonely