The 79th General Convention of the Episcopal Church #GC79 #EpiscopalIdaho #Episcopal


After a few days in Dallas I arrived in Austin to volunteer for the 79th General Convention of the Episcopal Church. Not only is it in my hometown, I grew up in the Diocese of Texas, I was super active in the Episcopal Diocese of Idaho and I stayed for two weeks while simultaneously visiting my parents [read: it's easy to visit for 2 weeks when we all have lots of things to do that keep us busy].

I imagined summer being full of rest and relaxation and sleep and pool lounging. 
When I looked at my volunteer schedule it occurred to me that I may have sabotaged my own dreams... 

The days were full but wonderful! I made some new friends and saw lots of old ones. 

I volunteered mostly in the House of Bishops, one of our two houses of government (if you need sleeping pills, try this explanation of the structure of the EC). There were times when I wondered how in the world the Episcopal Church gets anything done, but other times I felt immense pride to be a member of this denomination. 

For example, the bishops appeared quite wrapped around the axel about things like correct titles, at which point I began to ponder the wisdom of leaving those CCD classes of the Roman Catholic Church my dad made me take when I was a kid. And don't even get me started on the debate about revising the 1979 Book of Common Prayer!  

But other times, I felt proud to be a member of a body willing to take on current affairs and at the very least, discuss them. Since moving to the Middle East I have an entirely new perspective on the the politics of the region and was very interested in the resolutions regarding the area. Fifteen resolutions were submitted regarding the Israel/Palestine situation, and while only 6 of them passed both houses to be enacted, I recognize that, to paraphrase Carolyn Myss, tribes move way more slowly than individuals. In my opinion, the Episcopal Church is doing exactly what it is supposed to do--pass resolutions and make statements and debate issues. It is we, the individuals, that can act now by taking whatever action is ours to be done. When enough of us start doing that, the tribe will catch up. It is the mystery of God that fills in the gaps. 

In the end I left General Convention with a deep sense of our need for God. I witnessed an example of the vast expanse between the problems of this world and our futile efforts as fallible humans to solve them. 

Oh, and I got to see this guy preach in person.
Of course, one of the main highlights is this guy: the Presiding Bishop, Michael Curry. He is just as amazing in person as he was at the Royal Wedding. If you haven't listened to that sermon, listen now here!

This may be Austin, but it is not the same city I grew up in.

I saw the president!

Hearing The Most Rev. Michael Curry preach in person is a magnificent event.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still No Word

What have I done? #Homesick #Lonely