"Fun" in Austin with a Diagnostic Mammogram

After my screening and diagnostic mammograms this summer, the radiologist recommended that I get a diagnostic mammogram every six months to watch a cluster of calcium deposits they found. Six months out would be early January, so I wanted to get it done in the US while I am here for the holidays.  Since my two states are Idaho and Texas, I wasn't sure if I would be allowed to get it done in either place, despite having full insurance coverage in the United States.

The place I called in Dallas would not accept me since my home of record is Idaho; after an angry post on Facebook my dad emailed me the number for ARA Diagnostic Imaging in Austin. They seemed to have no problem at all with my being from Idaho.  I got all of my stuff in order, signed up for MyChart via the link they sent me and thought I was good to go.

Of course, I didn't have everything I needed. I learned that a referral is not the same as an order. An order signed by a doctor clears you for the x-rays in the scan. Christy, the woman who checked me in, was super helpful and had so much compassion for me. She called my doctor's office in Boise but all the doctors are off until the new year. I started to melt down in frustration and said a prayer. 

Then I realized, if it is just a piece of paper clearing me for the scan, then maybe a doctor here can see me, sign the paper and I can come back. ARA assured me that they would fit me in today if I could get the order. Christina sent me across the parking lot to Austin Regional Clinic where the receptionist was able to find an appointment in two hours' time. The appointment turned out to be for an annual OB/GYN--perfect because I didn't get mine done when I was home over the summer. 

Here's where I really started feeling cared for by God:  

The intake nurse for the annual was from Pocatello, Idaho.

While I was waiting for the doctor, the nurse from ARA called to see if I could come back today before 2 when they usually stop seeing patients. It would be harder for them to fit me in on Friday.

The doctor, who was from Oregon, walked in with a piece of paper and said, "I understand you need an order for a diagnostic mammogram. Here is a hard copy and it is already in your MyChart account." She did all of the yearly things and ordered bloodwork.  

[As an aside: I have been seeing a Functional Medicine doctor for my entire adult life. In practice this means that I am used to my doctor spending a lot of time with me each year, at least 30 minutes, and back in the day it felt like closer to an hour. This doctor, lovely as she was, stayed in the room with me for about 7 minutes! She did the necessary procedures and went on her way. I was grateful for the speed so I could quickly get back to ARA, but it was a little shocking to not be asked any questions whatsoever about my current state of health. ]

Because of the quick appointment, I was back at ARA before 2 pm and taken back immediately. 

The nurse who performed the mammogram was from Twin Falls, Idaho.

The radiologist, a lovely gentleman with a think Texas accent, is going to Israel in May. 

As he gave me the news that I needed a biopsy of a spot in my left breast, my mind went blank and I couldn't think of any questions to ask him. I did hear him say 92% of the time the result is benign and that even if it isn't, it is super early and super treatable. He managed to fit me in the following Wednesday (this was a Thursday) so I could hopefully get the results before I head back to Tel Aviv on Friday. 

While there was a lot of crying [me, not the doctor!], the kindness of the nurse touched my heart. I tried to emphasize exactly how sensitive I am to pain and she assured me lots of women go through this and that I would be okay. They could sedate me, but I wouldn't be out, just relaxed. I didn't want to risk any after-affects that might affect my ability to get back to Israel. 

As the procedure is approaching, I feel more anxious about the pain than about the results of the biopsy. But the way it came together so that I was able to get this done in the US, and with my family nearby, reassures me that God is working for me. Friends keep reminding me that this is a good thing--that they are taking precautions for my good! 

Comments

  1. I'm so sorry you struggled through all of this but it is clear God has been with you all the way. Let us know the outcome please.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Still No Word

The Biopsy