Last Day of School

Congratulations to all the teachers out there who have completed or as short to complete the "way worse than we thought it would be" school year! My last day was yesterday (June 15) and I have to say that this was my best year of teaching in my 11 years (which, by the way, I just figured out. All year long I thought this was my 10th year of teaching--maybe I just blocked out last year). 

My two closest friends in Israel, Jessie and Lynn

Aside from the fact that we were not on Zoom this year, which made everything 1000 times better, I loved my students. Because we were open in Israel, students got to sit in groups and move around and after spring break we no longer had to wear masks. Something new to me was Week Without Walls. My school in Abu Dhabi didn't do this was a first. It is really "3 days without walls" (Wednesday to Friday), but whatever. I was anxious about spending 3 days with 50 eighth graders but I was wrong. It was really fun! And it turned out to be a great relationship builder between myself and some of the students, as well as with my colleagues. In the past I have not been very participatory in events at schools where I have worked but this experience change my opinion of that mindset. Between WWW and a few other field trips, I really feel like part of the community in a way I have not at any previous job.  

Living in Tel Aviv is WAAAAAYYYY better UN-locked! I have found a church community that I love and joined two Bible studies. People in my building now smile at me and say hello. I feel comfortable waiting in lines and speaking up for myself (a skill you must have here or you will get trampled).

The best part of this year, however, was that I realized: I am a good teacher! Sometime in the fall it started to click, although I'm not sure what the catalyst was. One day I realized, I DO know what I'm talking about. I DO know how to teach well. Of course there is much more to learn and I have many areas for growth, but a confidence developed this year that crowded out professional the self-doubt and anxiety that has plagued me for so long. Perhaps this is what happens at year 11; perhaps it was working with a math coach (thanks, Cathy!) and a curriculum expert in the US (thanks, Paul!); perhaps it was the new principal or the ability to travel this year. Whatever the perfect storm, I am all the better for it.

On a more subdued note, my two closest friends here will not be here next year. We were all in the UAE and arrived in Israel on the same flight. They got me through the Zoom year and the transition from conservative Abu Dhabi to liberal Tel Aviv. We would message each other things like, people here are walking around without much clothing on! Is this allowed?  Did you see those two people holding hands? Our stuff was shipped together about 2 weeks before diplomatic ties were established between Israel and the UAE, so we did not get out belongings until mid-November. I could go on, but you get the idea. I will miss them so much but I'm so grateful for Whatsapp Voice Messages (US friends, I highly suggest you investigate this!).

Here at the end of the year I am feeling like I hoped I would feel when I moved abroad. I will be back in Israel next year for sure; after that I am not sure. But I plan to enjoy it even more than this year.

Here's a few pictures of the last day of school.

with Jessie




All the teachers wave to the buses as they leave on the last day of school. Such a great tradition.


 
A few of my colleagues

Saying goodbye at the train station after the last ride of the school year

Jessie and Joy. I will miss you, Jessie!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Biopsy

Still No Word