Tow Truck Troubles in Tel Aviv

This is the tow truck driver. But we'll get to why he's headlining this post a bit later.

Please play a little Willie while you read on.

While I was in Jerusalem last Saturday night my car started sputtering--that kind that happens before you run out of gas, but this time I was NOT running out of gas (it may have happened to me a few times before 😏). I was able to make it to the parking garage near the Old City and went about the business of an outing in Jerusalem.

 Thinking that maybe I was out of oil, I stopped on the outskirts of town to check the fluids, which were fine. I prayed the entire drive back to Tel Aviv (about an hour on Shabbat with minimal traffic). It was 10:30 p.m. and really cold. Although I felt safe--Israeli's are very helpful when you are in trouble, I could just foresee the hassle of breaking down on the highway, having to navigate the towing company from Tel Aviv...blah, blah, blah.

I made it back to my street by the grace of God and even got a parking spot on the end. 

And there it sat for the next 3-and-a-half days.

The car sitting.


I found out towing is covered on my insurance, but unlike the in the United States I did not want to even try to ask if I could get a bill reimbursed. Luckily I was teaching on Zoom Monday and Tuesday of this week so I could meet a tow truck at any time; so I called the tow company number on Monday afternoon and waited on hold for 2 hours until my phone disconnected the call. I called back and waited an hour and a half and then gave up.

Tuesday I called during lunch and got right through--and to someone who speaks English!!  I put the order in for the tow and she told me that the driver would contact me in about 5 hours. Great! That's time to teach and get work done for the afternoon.

An hour later a driver called who spoke no English and said he was on his way. I had to decline that tow because I was about to teach. The operator said she would cancel that call and put in one for 2:30 p.m. Great.

At 4 p.m. I got a text telling me that my car had been towed successfully. :(  I walked to the car, which had not moved.  I called three more times and my call was answered quickly but . When I called and asked for a person who speaks English, I was told "rak rega" (wait a sec) and sent to what I call "holding hell". This is hold with no sound, music or recording to tell you what is happening. I waited 20 minutes 3 times then hung up.

This is when I lost it. I needed Hebrew.

During my visit to Jerusalem I spent time with my friend Debbie and a lovely Israeli man who offered to help me with anything I need while I live here. I called him. I explained the situation and he took my information and tried to call.  By now it was about 5 p.m. and he didn't get through.  All evening I struggled between the frustration of powerlessness and curiosity of my reaction to a situation that is irritating but not dangerous or urgent. I don't need the car to survive. I can ride to work with friends; I can even take the train. 

Bible study is on Tuesday nights and a friend from there offered to call the company with me so she could translate if they answered. We called and waited about 15 minutes before I decided bed was a better choice.  

[May I just insert here that we are studying Exodus 14 and verse 13 was perfect: Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the LORD will bring you today.]

Another day began, and I was prepared to wait and watch. My plan was this: ride to work with my coworker and call the tow company after I finished teaching at 1:30, then go home early to wait (my friend agreed to leave early). Instead, here is what happened: at about 9 a.m. my new best friend Yoram (the tour guide) texted and told me he called and got me on the list. The tow truck driver would contact me between 2 and 4:30 p.m.

At 2 p.m. on the way home he texted again to report he had called again to make sure it was still a go. He confirmed the order and said they had his phone number.

At 5 p.m. he texted, "They is on the way."  WooHoo!

I walked to the car and waited. After a slight adjustment to the correct address, this beautiful vehicle pulled up!


I was so excited I hugged the driver! (I asked permission first but he had no problem with that). He couldn't believe I'd been waiting 2 1/2 days for a tow!  This is when I took the picture at the top.

It was over in minutes. He drove away with my car in tow.  I have no idea what is wrong with it and I pray it is something small, but I have to tell you that sometimes in this country mundane activities become such a monumental task it seems like a miracle if they are ever completed!

To quote Yoram when I sent him this picture: Halelujah!

I have never been before so happy to see my car towed away!

Comments

  1. I love the way Israeli's are so surprised that you have had so much difficulty! Well done though for asking for help. That does work there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way Israeli's are so surprised that you have had so much difficulty! Well done though for asking for help. That does work there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy, I can hear your voice and even hear your occasional laugh at yourself. May your car be easily repaired. I again am constantly thrilled for you and how God is using EVERYTHING for evidence of His goodness! ( Plus you are such a great story teller!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Still No Word

What have I done? #Homesick #Lonely