The break up. #RonChernow @HamiltonMuslical

It's over.
I am devastated.
The cycle of grief has begun.

On my way home this afternoon, my 36 hour-long relationship with Alexander Hamilton finally came to an end.  [Spoiler Alert: he dies in the end].
At 3 1/2 hours to go I stopped listening for a few days to prolong the grief.

Yes, I've completed the entire Ron Chernow biography of our first Secretary of the Treasury. I'm not gonna lie, I was only interested in the book initially because of the Broadway play Hamilton. I've listened to Act One so many times I just had to find out the real story of this amazing man (Really, I think I wanted to see how much of the play is true). But it grew on me.

It took a few chapters, but I eventually got sucked in. There were definitely a few chapters where I zoned out for miles at a time (like, for example, all those words about the Federalist Papers), but overall I bet I heard about 70% of the book. And by the last 10 hours I was all in. It is an incredible story. I have been obsessed. I mean, 6th-grade-girl-likes-a-boy obsession.

Some side effects:
  • A deep, raging disgust and resentment against our 3rd vice president, Aaron Burr. I realize he's been dead for almost 200 years, but I hate that guy.
  • Crying in my apartment after I heard how he died after the duel with Aaron Burr.
  • A fascination with words. I may have heard myself rap a few lessons on using exponents at school recently.
  • Nostalgic attachment to letters.
  • I've begun signing emails JD, just like letters back then were often signed by the initials
  • Suddenly I am on the waiting list for Founding Brothers
  • Referencing Alexander Hamilton in casual conversation with friends. By first name only.
  • Talking to Alex in the car, warning him not to publish that treatise on the Maria Reynold affair
  • Something akin to Facebook stalking: spending hours of my life watching any video with Lin Manuel-Miranda in it. Did you know there is a Hamilton polka album? (writing a blog post about the subject might also qualify here)
If you are interested in a big fat book like this, I suggest joining Audible. Newcomers to the site can get a free credit the first month. I join for a month, get my credit and spend it on a humungous book that I could never get through in two or four weeks through library check-outs, then cancel my membership until I want to get another big book. Fifteen dollars is a small price to pay for how much joy listening to these books bring me.

I cannot pass up this opportunity to say, yet again, how wonderful the music is to Hamilton. I listen to is so much it is in my head when I wake up, in between classes, on a run in between songs. I am Hamilton obsessed. I just discovered today that Hamilton is showing in London, and I intend to go see it this summer!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still No Word

What have I done? #Homesick #Lonely