The adventure really starts now with a new job!!!


I have a new job!!!

I quit my current job as of December 31 about a month ago and have since been enduring work while trying to figure out what to do in January. My back-up plan of moving to Ireland to work a stress-less job and relax was becoming real. I verified that my working holiday student visa application is still valid. I applied for a job in Dubai and another one in Abu Dhabi. I even considered staying in Austin for a while (don't tell my father!).

But then I went to an interview at an American school here in Abu Dhabi, which I got through a happy series of coincidences [read: God in action]. As soon as I entered the building I felt my entire body, mind and soul relax. It felt familiar as I walked to the meeting room. At the end of interview I was offered the job.

Did I mention that on the way to this interview I was imagining ways to turn it down, just in case? Let's just say that thus far the job I've been doing hasn't been agreeing with me. My hair started falling out again*, I was crying every day*, and I was consistently exhausted from work and worry. My back-up plan of moving to Ireland for a rest seemed like the best option, then figure out what to do in September. But instead of saying no I asked for a tour of the facility. The head of the department was happy to show me around the amazing facility.

She showed me the classroom where I'd be teaching, the brilliant facilities, the library and the planetarium. We shared experiences, I met some students. She showed me what will be my schedule. My heart came back to life as I realized that this is the job I was hoping to have when I started my overseas adventure. An hour after the interview ended we were still talking.

Next morning I emailed a list of clarifying questions and over the course of the day we worked out the pay, pay grade, flight and details. Although I am taking a slight pay cut, the salvation of my soul is worth the loss. Isn't it amazing that you can solidify details of a new job via email, What's App, a laptop and two mobile phones while you are in a mall? 

Once everything was done, I received a welcome email from the principal and then from the department head. Reading that made me feel awesome!

There is a huge list of benefits to working at this school, but just a few of them are
  • The school will fly me back from America after Christmas.
  • I will have to move but the complex looks very nice and I'm sure it will be an upgrade.
  • My new home is about a 5 minute drive to work.
  • I can move in December 10 but I don't have to be out of my current place until break on the 14th.
  • I know the person moving into my current apartment, which will just make everything a little bit easier.
  • Two of the people I'll be working with will be around over the holiday, so when I come back a few days early I can have help getting situated.
  • This is a big step forward in my teaching career, as the school is rigorous and offers the International Baccalaureate Diploma, which I hope to get trained for in the future.
The one "drawback" [I use this term loosely] is that I am taking a slight pay cut, but I figure the salvation of my soul is worth it.


*Hair falling out here is common, though. Some say it's because the water is not the same as home, but others say it's because of the stress of the move and the water gets blamed for it. I started taking Biotin and do NOT have a filter on my shower and hair is staying put these days.

**To be fair, many people I have met here, especially teachers, go through this period of crying every night. Not that it makes it good, but it does help to know that at least part of the issue is perhaps culture shock rather that just my own situation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still No Word

The Biopsy